Damping Ratios

Fellow engineers,

        Can anyone refer me to a good reference for determining damping
ratios?  The only one I have at present is by Karamchandani, Gupta, and
Pattabiraman, published in Hydrocarbon Processing in 1982.  My primary
application is stacks and occasionally process towers relating to vortex
shedding problems.

        Thank you for any help you can provide.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson