Re: Pier And Beam Foundation - Uplift

There are no requirements in any of the building codes I remember for a check of uplift. There is a recommended practice of checking this possibility in FEMA"s Coastal Construction Manual (FEMA 55 3rd Edition) with an example illustrated. The possibility does seem remote however if the structure was located near a dune where waves could run-up the dune, the water could cause uplift on the structure. In the cases I checked, the weight of the structure has always exceeded those uplift forces however by a significant factor.
*************************************
Bill Coulbourne, P.E.
Principal Structural Engineer
URS Corp.
200 Orchard Ridge Drive
Suite 101
Gaithersburg, Md 20878
301-670-3344 (Office)
301-869-8728 (Fax)
703-850-2891 (Cell)
bill_coulbourne(--nospam--at)urscorp.com

"Bill Polhemus" <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>
07/16/2002 01:30 PM
Please respond to seaint