Re: Pier And Beam Foundation - Uplift

Bill-

Per ASCE 7-98, Section 5.2

In the design of basement floors and similar approximately horizontal elements
below grade, the upward pressure of water, where applicable, shall be taken as
the full hydrostatic pressure applied over the entire area.  The hydrostatic
head shall be measured from the underside of the construction.  Any other
upward loads shall be included in the design.

Section 5.3.3.2

Hydrostatic loads caused by a depth of water to the level of the design flood
elevation shall be applied over all surfaces involved...

Design flood elevations are calculated according to the aforementioned
ASCE 7-98 and your friendly neighborhood Flood Hazard Map.

-Keith Fix, PE
-Little Rock, Arkansas