RE: Earthquake loads on water retaining structures

The lateral effects of the fluid must be considered. For most tanks, it
would be conservative to include the full weight of the water as part of the
mass and apply half of the load to each wall. However, the proper analysis
would include analysis of dynamic effects of "impulsive" and "convective"
(sloshing) forces. These may be determined in accordance with ACI 350.3.