RE: Brick with Metal Stud Backup

This topic has been discussed on the list on several occasions.  The Metal
Lath / Steel Framing Association and the Brick Institute of America both
predicated their recommendations on the same 222 page Clemson study, but
they came up with markedly different conclusions.  The MLSFA recommended
L/360.  The BIA recommended L/600.  They did not want to have their brick
joints cracked.

In the mean time, the Canadians did their own thing.  The Canada Mortgage
and Housing Corporation did some very good research.  Re: Technics Steel
Stud / Brick Veneer Walls, by Trestain and Rousseau, Progressive
Architecture.  The Canadians went with L/720.  The reference also contains
some additional design and construction recommendations that are very good.

My personal preference is to infer a 10 year wind with L/720 by designing to
L/600 for the 50 year wind.  I also go to a G90 stud, and if I am pushed I
will go to hot rolled channels.

Not to make your problem worse, but your 25 psf sounds light for the corner
condition.

Read all about it in the references at:
http://www.masonconf.com/miw/veneer/refandbib.html

Regards,