From: burnedup
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 2:42 PM
Subject: Job burnout

If there is anyone on this list who has successfully overcome
job burnout, I need some help on how you did it.

After years of demanding clients, faxed due dates, contractors
with personnel who can't read construction documents, RFI's
requiring immediate response, and incomplete architectural plans,
I am ready to give up.

Add to that seeing registration law violations on a weekly basis
by the owner of the firm who will not discuss them since he makes
money that way, having to furnish my own computer (unless I want
to use a 486) and design software, and having to pay for
continuing education. No pay raise or profit sharing even if
everyone works 12+ hour days, but the boss can take overseas
trips.  Paychecks bounce because money is not transferred
into the accounts soon enough.

The only plus is that I seal the documents on my projects and not
have someone who has never looked at project place their seal.

I have looked at other firms in my area and am amazed. How can
someone work in a cubicle that doesn't have the space to open
a set of plans? Also the noise for me is overwhelming to the
point I can't concentrate.

If I don't get any replies, does any one know where someone with
30+ years experience could end out their career doing something
affiliated with structural engineering?

--burnedup and out

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org