RE: Column Buckling

HSS is the official designation as established by the Steel Tube Institute (yes, I get the irony that they still have Tube in their name). Specifying TS does not get you a product with a thicker wall than an HSS of the same nominal designation. TS (old designator) and HSS (new designator) are the same thing. The change was arbitrary and capricious, but made nonetheless.

Charlie
-----Original Message-----
From: da [mailto:dadie(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 9:55 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Column Buckling

How many people call out HSS vs. TS ?

within the last 6 months i've tried to call out HSS for my sections at 2 different firms, only to be overruled by my superiors.

 Is there a difference?

i think people are correlating TS with nominal wall thicknesses and HSS with actual thicknesses.  the end result is that if they use the "green" book they callout TS.  i don't think anyone using a "black" or "navy blue" book would have a problem using HSS.

Is there any reason to call out HSS over TS on the drawings?

just a transition period, me thinks...