"Direct Supevision" (WAS RE: Job burnout)

However, this seems to be in violation of the board rules of most states of
which I'm aware.

For example, here in Texas, the person sealing the drawings must engage in
"direct supervision" which is defined as follows:

"Critical watching, evaluating, and directing of engineering activities with
the authority to review, enforce, and control compliance with all
engineering design criteria, specifications, and procedures as the work
progresses. Direct supervision will consist of an acceptable combination of:
exertion of significant control over the engineering work, regular personal
presence, reasonable geographic proximity to the location of the performance
of the work, and an acceptable employment relationship with the supervised
persons. Engineers providing direct supervision of engineering under the
Texas Engineering Practice Act, ... shall be personally present during such
work."

I think many engineering firms in the state of Texas do not realize that
this is the current standard of care. Just being in a supervisory position,
able to hire and fire, and oversee the work from (far) above, is not
sufficient. And I should think that "personally present" means "in the same
room, looking over shoulders a good percentage of the time."

Oh, and BTW: The Texas board rules also mention the "old" term "responsible
charge," and indicates that its definition is synonymous with "direct
supervision." The latter term was selected to replace the former because it
is less "passive." That's significant, I think.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, TX, USA
Phone (281) 492-2251