"Direct Supevision" (WAS RE: Job burnout

Rules are different in different states.  Here in Arizona the requirement is
that only work performed by a "bona-fide employee" can be sealed, but doesn't
say who in the firm can seal it.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bill Polhemus wrote:

. > However, this seems to be in violation of the board rules of most states
. > of which I'm aware.

. > For example, here in Texas, the person sealing the drawings must engage in
. > "direct supervision" which is defined as follows:

. > "Critical watching, evaluating, and directing of engineering activities
. > with the authority to review, enforce, and control compliance with all
. > engineering design criteria, specifications, and procedures as the work
. > progresses. Direct supervision will consist of an acceptable combination
. > of: exertion of significant control over the engineering work, regular
. > personal presence, reasonable geographic proximity to the location of the
. > performance of the work, and an acceptable employment relationship with
. > the supervised persons. Engineers providing direct supervision of
. > engineering under the Texas Engineering Practice Act, ... shall be
. > personally present during such work."

. > I think many engineering firms in the state of Texas do not realize that
. > this is the current standard of care. Just being in a supervisory
. > position, able to hire and fire, and oversee the work from (far) above,
. > is not sufficient. And I should think that "personally present" means "in
. > the same room, looking over shoulders a good percentage of the time."

. > Oh, and BTW: The Texas board rules also mention the "old" term
. > "responsible charge," and indicates that its definition is synonymous with
. > "direct supervision." The latter term was selected to replace the former
. > because it is less "passive." That's significant, I think.

. > William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
. > Polhemus Engineering Company
. > Katy, TX, USA
. > Phone (281) 492-2251