Re: Brick with Metal Stud Backup

Harold,

        There is some interesting background to the Canadian position on this
system.

        A few years ago engineers and architects were faced with a large number
of claims relating to failures with the system which at that time was
significantly inferior to what it is today.  As a result, ENCON (the
organization providing insurance for architects and engineers) wrote to all
engineers and architects requesting that they stop using the system.  Period.
Of course there were loud screams of anguish from the suppliers, the loudest
coming from the Canadian Sheet Steel Building Institute (CSSBI), whose counter
proposal led to the present requirements (which also include increased site
inspections relative to what was previously being done).

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson