Job burnout

Title: Message
On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:42:26 -0500 burnedup
writes:
> If there is anyone on this list who has successfully overcome
> job burnout, I need some help on how you did it.
>
> After years of demanding clients, faxed due dates, contractors
> with personnel who can't read construction documents, RFI's
> requiring immediate response, and incomplete architectural plans,
> I am ready to give up.
>
> Add to that seeing registration law violations on a weekly basis
> by the owner of the firm who will not discuss them since he makes
> money that way, having to furnish my own computer (unless I want
> to use a 486) and design software, and having to pay for
> continuing education. No pay raise or profit sharing even if
> everyone works 12+ hour days, but the boss can take overseas
> trips.  Paychecks bounce because money is not transferred
> into the accounts soon enough.
>
> The only plus is that I seal the documents on my projects and not
> have someone who has never looked at project place their seal.
>
> I have looked at other firms in my area and am amazed. How can
> someone work in a cubicle that doesn't have the space to open
> a set of plans? Also the noise for me is overwhelming to the
> point I can't concentrate.
>
> If I don't get any replies, does any one know where someone with
> 30+ years experience could end out their career doing something
> affiliated with structural engineering?
>
> --burnedup and out

Sounds like the classic recipe for going Postal:  responsibility without control.  Control what you can.  Contractors who have legitimate RFI's due to deficiencies in my plans get answers as quickly as I can, but contractors who play stupid on my jobs at my expense may find themselves experiencing very rigorous inspections timed to coincide with the arrival of the concrete truck.  Clients who throw you work with poor definition should be gently made to understand that the ball remains in their court.

For anyone with 30 years of experience, the boss thing is even easier.  You don't have to take that shit.  You need a new boss, or maybe none at all if you feel like broadening your horizons.  On the registration law violations and the bounced paychecks, do society a favor and nail the guy.  Both these things are illegal.  On the new job thing, remember that you don't necessarily get what you deserve, but what you negotiate.  Like 8 hour days, a decent place to work, and the tools needed to do your job.  I can't imagine a serious office environment in which everyone buys their own computer--not because I believe the company should furnish them (I do), but because security and networking would be impossible.  It sounds like your boss is basically milking the place.  Don't be an udder.  There are actually good places to work, but you may have to be a little assertive to bring them out.

FWIW

Mike Hemstad
St. Paul, Minnesota