Re: Concrete Load Brg Wall with Conc Beams

> I have heard one response that does not develop the
> beam steel and treats it
> as a partial fixity letting the negative steel yield
> and redistributing beam
> moments. If you do not develop the beam steel how
> can you be sure that the
> end moment does not pull out the partial developed
> bars causing failure?

If one doesn't provide development length for
reinforcement, steel bars won't yield and will not
reach the specified capacity. The maximum developed
force might be calculated based on provided
development length. Thus not only the maximum beam end
moment would be limited, but also the beam ductility
to develop any plastic rotation would be reduced. Does
a beam with lower moment capacity and ductility work
in that structural system? The answer depends on the
system demand and seismic requirements.

Hope it helps,
Frank

=====
Fariborz Tehrani,                      Phone: (310)801-4237Professional Civil Engineer              Fax: (877)743-6206BSCE, MSCE, PE                    Voice Mail: (877)743-6206email: general@fmtehrani.comweb: www.fmtehrani.com