Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 2:29 PM
Subject: Concrete Load Brg Wall with Conc Beams

A 12 inch thick load bearing wall multiple stories. Heavily reinforced
concrete beams on grid coming into bearing wall. Is it ok not to develop the
beam bars (not enough wall thickness. Wall must satisfy ACI 14.4.

I say negative steel should be developed by a haunch or something similar
and design wall for additional haunch moment. Looking for other engineers
comments regarding development of beam steel in exterior walls.

I have heard one response that does not develop the beam steel and treats it
as a partial fixity letting the negative steel yield and redistributing beam
moments. If you do not develop the beam steel how can you be sure that the
end moment does not pull out the partial developed bars causing failure?

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org