Re: Column Buckling (local buckling in HSS)

Charlie, Neil,

        Thank you for responding to my comments on the above topic.

        Of course you are right about local buckling often applying to thin walled HSS sections.  The reason I was "a little bit surprised" is that I don't work with these very thin sections,  The section properties are not listed in our C.I.S.C. handbook, presumably because these properties must be calculated in compliance with our S136 code, whereas you deal with them under your own code.

        I hope I haven't mislead anyone.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson

"Carter, Charlie" wrote:

I'm a little surprised that local buckling would be a factor,
however, if it is, the analysis would be the same as for thin gauge material.

Local buckling is a fairly common limit state for HSS when the diameters or flats get big and the walls thin. Check some of the b/t and D/t ratios versus the HSS Specification and you'll see how often Q is needed in the calc.

Charlie