Eccentric Loading on Spread Footing

I am checking an AASHTO spread footing design where the eccentric biaxial

The kern is governing the dimensions of the footing due to AASHTO
4.4.7.1.1.1, last sentence, which mandates the eccentricity be within 1/6 of
the footing dimension in any direction.

Has anyone found relief for this controlling statement?  Why would AASHTO
give formulae for eccentricities > 1/6 the footing dimension if it is not
allowed? (See Eqn. 4.4.7.1.1.1-6)

TIA

Paul