Patenting

Title: Patenting

I went through the process partially a number of years ago. Some of the important things I learned are:

You can get information from the patent office on how to patent you ideas. I think the info is free. The first step is (or was when I went through the process) to file a disclosure document. This is a brief outline of your idea filed for a small fee (used to be $10) with the patent office. It registers you idea and provides a date of inception of your idea. It doesn't mean that  the idea is patentable. It also gives you 2 years to develop your idea and apply for a full blown patent. Good luck. Oh - if you find any of the above information useful and you become the next Bill Gates, I would not refuse the gift of a house in the Caribbean (just to help with job burnout).

Jon Meyer