RE: Hull Steel DH 36 or EH 36

That sounds like ABS (American Bureau of Shipping) ship steel.  They have their own specifications - I believe the reason is the notch toughness criteria.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Peoples [mailto:kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net]
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 1:26 PM
To: Seaint
Subject: Hull Steel DH 36 or EH 36

One of our fabricators for whom we do detailing has forwarded to us a portion of what appears to be a spec. or a standard.  He would like to know what type of steel he should be purchasing.  He was told that it should be either DH 36 or EH 36.  The spec. sheet contains a "Table 2 (1996)" titled "Tensile Properties of Higher-Strength Hull Structural Steel 100 mm (4.0 in) and Under".  I am not sure where it comes from.

In this table, DH 36 or EH36 are listed as having the following properties:

Tensile Strength 71/90 ksi

Yield Point 51 ksi

Elongation 21%

It appears that the 36 is the yield in kgf/mm2

I know the basic structural steels (A36 or A992), but get away from these and I start to get nervous about what I might not know.  I was wondering if any of you could clue me in as to what this material is in common terms (or can the fabricator go to his supplier and ask for DH 36?).  Is there a more common name for it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates