Re: stainless steel welding

>Do unlacquered/unpainted fillet welds joining two stainless steel plates
>rust? Is there any special method used for welding stainless steel to
>prevent this?
Stainless doesn't rust in the conventional sense. Sometimes it stains or
pits but it doesn't rust. That would make a 'special method used for
welding stainless steel to prevent this' unnecessary.

If you're talking about intergranular corrosion in the weld HAZ
(sensitization), the only real way to do it it to used stabilized
stainless like 347 and be careful about welding heat input so the weld
HAZ doesn't stay at temperatures around 800F very long.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw