From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 10:13 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Fixed File Cabinet - Dead Load or Li

Eric,

I believe that you are grasping to justify using low dead load factors.  The
load factors are low based on the theory that *dead loads* are fairly
predictable.  Rolling file cabinet loads are *not* fairly predictable.  In
fact, I would equate them to at least library stack rooms.  (Library stacks
at least have fixed aisles; rolling file cabinets maybe have only one aisle,
and that can be anywhere.)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Eric Green's and Scott Maxwell's exchange:

I believe ASCE-7 is referring to "built-in" cranes, not crawler/construction
cranes.