RE: Fixed File Cabinet - Dead Load or Li

>The question of LL vs DL seems to me to be one of probability.
I think it's a matter of the dynamic nature of the load consequently the
possibility of amplification, the possibility of re-location and the
likelihood that it's repetitive and a possible source of fatigue.

>I do not see much difference between a rolling file cabinet and a large
>a/c compressor or air handler (which ASCE clearly indicates is a dead load).
The difference is that one rolls and the other doesn't. The A/C isn't
going to end up bunched in a corner somewhere with a lot of other units
when someone re-models the space or replaces carpets.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw