Re: Fixed File Cabinet - Dead Load or Li

When I worked in the metal building industry we had our own category of loading called "collateral load".  We used this to separate the lights, plumbing HVAC etc that we did not feel were a true dead load that we could rely on and was not a live load either.  They were not the "use" of the building.  We did not include collateral in most wind combinations because it would reduce the uplift but did generally include it in the live load combinations that were predominantly gravity loads.

We were not doing an LRFD type design so it rarely mattered from the point of view load factors.  If I had to use a load factor, I would think between 1.4 and 1.7 would be a satisfactory range since this would be related to the reliability of the load.  This reliability could vary from job to job and therefore I could see the factor varying.

As we all know, the code cannot address all possible situations we could be faced with.  If your main structure is a heavy dead load structure, it most likely does not matter whether you call it DL or LL, but if you have a light DL building such as a pre-engineered metal building it could be a big factor.  The use of the collateral load category was our way of keeping the load separated and using were we deemed appropriate.

Ron Martin
Tuscaloosa, AL