From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 2:17 PM
To: 'seaint'
Subject: Re: steel brace

Greg,

Based upon your limited description, I would say yes you can use this type
of brace, but a little more information would be helpful.

Is there another brace that meets this one at the middle of the beam
coming from the beam to column connection at the other side of the beam?

If so, does the working point of the braces (essentially the centerlines)
meet roughly at the centerline of the beam?

If the answer to the first question is "no", then it sound like an
eccentric brace system.

If the answer to the first and second question is "yes", then is sounds
like a concentric brace system.

If the answer to the first question is "yes" and the second is "no", then
it sounds like another configuration for an eccentric brace system.

FYI, an eccentric brace system relies on getting its brace force into a
beam or column by both bending and resolution of the axial loads into
component forces (like a truss member), in general terms.  An eccentric
brace system will have a "link" beam segment that is designed to create
the ductility in the system (note an eccentric brace system is typically
more ductile than a concentric brace system).  A concentric brace system,
OTOH, will not rely on any bending to transfer force from the brace to
beam or column.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI