From: Glenn Otto [mailto:glenn(--nospam--at)libertyeng.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 12:23 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Stainless steel rust

Speaking of rust and stainless steel, I was in a poo-poo pump station to
observe fiberglass gratings and handrails stiffness and stuff.  I was also
looking around and noticed that the stainless steel plates that were bent to
form pipe brackets/supports were showing rust wherever the bends were.  The
non-bent portions were OK.  I surmised that this was due to the heat used to
bend the pieces changing some molecules around.  Has anyone observed this
phenomenon elsewhere?

Glenn C. Otto, P.E.

LIBERTY ENGINEERING, P.C.

Virginia Beach, VA