From: "David Sharp" <Ausgang(--nospam--at)e46fanatics.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: Patenting
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:07:07 -0700

PatentingRe: Patents

If you do choose to patent something, and you don't have a team of lawyers on the ready to defend you against those who will steal your patent, (and in effect dare you to defend it,) consider patent insurance.

Our company went through a brutal and expensive patent infringement case some years ago. To make a long story short, we now insure our patents with Lloyds. What this means is that our legal 'offense' against anyone infringing our patents is paid for by our insurance carrier up to a amount based upon 'how much' insurance we buy.

This is a big deal, because those who infringe one's patents may very well have their legal fees covered by normal business insurance as part of their 'defense', as was the situation in our case. Thus, the 'infringer' gets a free ride, (no out-of-pocket expenses,) to defend himself. Whereas, the patent owner has to pay a team of experts to file and put on an a case.

Oh yeah, there's the complicated matter of international treaties and such too. A patent here isn't automatically accepted everywhere, and you have to pay for such acceptance, and there's no guarantee. If you don't get 'world-wide' coverage --- certain countries will just ignore your rights.

David Sharp
TuraSure LLC