Re: Toronto wind speeds and ice requirements

Neil,

        The National Building Code of Canada (1995 edition) lists four Toronto
suburbs, all with the same reference wind loading, namely

(1/10) (ten year)  . . . . . . q = 0.39 kPa
(1/30) (thirty year) . . . . . q = 0.48 kPa
(1/100) (hundred year) . . q = 0.59 kPa.

Note: these are reference wind pressures, based on average hourly wind
speeds.  Canadian wind loading calculations are based on

                f = q * Ce * Cg * Cp

where        f = applied wind pressure

                 q = reference wind pressure (indicated above

                Ce = exposure factor
                       = 1.0 for exposure A (open exposure)
                       = 0.5 for exposure B (centre of large towns)
                       = 0.4 for exposure C (centre of large cities)

                Cg = gust factor
                        = 2.0 for structures
                        = 2.5 for cladding

                Cp = shape factor (essentially the same as U.S. wind shape
factors)

        It's actually a lot more complicated than that but I'm late for an
appointment so I'll write more later.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson