RE: Seismic Base Shear - Tank With Supported Bottom

Kevin,

Apparently this is a very short, stiff tank to have a period of 0.06 second
or less to invoke 1634.3.  Since this is a tank I would suggest that you use
1634.4.  Even better would be the seismic provisions contained in ACI 350.3
to develop the impulsive and convective fluid forces.

In regard to the pile cap, normally the pile cap is not added.  Pile caps
are normally embedded in the soil.  It is the soil that is shaking which
should accelerate the pile cap which causes an inertial response of the
tank.

You need to calculate the impulsive and convective response in the tank.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague