UBC/IBC: Question re CFS with Gypsum Board Sheathing (Shearwall)

This refers to UBC 97 2219.2/Table 22-VIII-B and IBC 2211.4/Table 2211.1(2).

Apparently even after all this time the only the two cases shown in those
tables (which are essentially identical) for 1/2-inch gyp board are
"allowed."

I just wanted to confirm my understanding of how this works.

The studs can be at 24" o.c., and blocking must occur at the edges of the
board.

Since the description says "board applied perpendicular to framing" I assume
this means that, for a 4' x 8' board the 4 ft. dimension is vertical. Is
that correct?

If so, it means you must have blocking in the form of a strap running
horizontal and solid blocking at each end of the wall.

Do I understand correctly, then, that the gypsum board can be attached
through the blocking strap? Anyone have any feel for the minimum gauge
thickness of the strap in that case?

Sorry, I've just never used gypsum board as a shearwall before, and the
client (builder) desires to do this so I want to make sure we're okay.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, TX, USA