RE: steel brace

>It seems to me like the brace system
>could be considered as both a
>concentric brace and a moment frame
>since the brace is putting the beam into
>bending?

Assuming you want to use an R factor greater than 3, you need a predictable
source of energy dissipation capability (inelastic deformation). Where will
that be and how do you make it predictable? My best suggestion if you want
to use it is to treat it as an EBF and meet the link/EBF provisions in the
AISC Seismic Provisions. Watch out for the beam-to-column moment connection
as I described before.

Charlie