RE: Wood Allowable Stresses

I thought one of the reasons for the dropping allowable stresses is the fact
that the wood coming from younger forests isn't as strong as that which came
from older forests.  So I wouldn't see a problem using the higher stresses
to evaluate an existing building, which was presumably built with the
higher-quality older wood.

Gary J. Ehrlich, P.E.
Project Engineer
Meyer Consulting Engineers Corp.