RE: Seismic Base Shear - Tank With Supported Bottom

In my opinion the weight of the pile caps should be included in the seismic
lateral force at the top of the piles. Presumably the piles are intended to
carry the vertical loads down to a stiffer stratum, perhaps to bedrock. I
view the seismic force as primarily being transmitted to the structure thru
this stiffer stratum, since there is likely little vertical pressure or
friction between the bottom of the tank and the soil below. Since the pile
caps have mass and inertia, they will also be affected by lateral
acceleration. However, the effects of soil resistance to lateral movement at
the pile cap level should also be considered.

Also, as I read 1997 UBC 1634.4, it appears to allow tanks to be designed
according to 1634.3 without confirming that the period is less than 0.06
sec. (Note: I believe that the reference in Section 1634.4 to Section 1632
should be to 1634.3.) However, I question the basis of using the 0.7 factor
included in Equation (34-1); in my opinion the full ground acceleration
should be used in this equation for ground supported tanks, i.e. the tank
accelerates at the same rate as ground acceleration assuming a rigid
structure.