From: "Bill Polhemus" <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: UBC/IBC: Question re CFS with Gypsum Board Sheathing (Shearwall)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:23:35 -0500

Nah, you're making it too complex.

In the first place, this is just a one-story building. It's a metal building
frame and roof, and has brick cladding.

The shearwall will be enclosed by the brick so no problem with asking the
gyp board to take wind; the wind will be taken by the brick and go into the
studs. The studs however WILL be sheathed with the gyp board.

Oh, and the straps are BLOCKING. They are "prescriptive" to the code.

This is all being done based on "who's cheap and available." The guy running the show is a construction manager. He's rounding up all the various trades,
etc.

BTW, I do find it interesting that IBC won't allow "flammable materials" for
interior partitions any longer.

Still looking for answers to my original questions. Regards.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, TX, USA
Phone (281) 492-2251