Re: Apt quote on Corrosion

Thanks Desi, for the enlightening discussion of corrosion.

Historic bells at one of the California Missions were cracked.  The ringing
of the bells sounded like the cleaning of the wheelbarrows.  It was decided
to recast them.  The material and configurations would be original, but they
would be newly cast bronze.

It was determined that they could not be recast because they had suffered
bronze disease, which I understand was a loss of one of the component
alloys.  Your descriptions of dealloying and of selective leaching each
seemed close to what I understood had happened to the bells.  Any thoughts
on bronze disease?

The final action was to use new bronze to cast replacement replicas, and the
old bells are to be put on display.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA