From: Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Patenting
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 23:51:01 -0400

Darren,

I recently heard that the patent office is granting patents to almost
everyone that applies as they don't have the time, resources, or personnel
to research the invention. The upshot of this is that the cost of getting a patent has gone down as there is now little for a patent attorney to do. The
downside is that the patent office has thrown validating a patent onto the
courts.  So, if you get a patent, you have to be able to defend against
claims and pursue claims against copycats.

In any event, I would advise consulting a good patent attorney. I would also
suggest that you keep scrupulous records from the time you conceived the
invention to getting the patent and to the manufacture of it.

There is a woman here in Tucson who invented a simple, plastic device (I
believe it is called the "French Twist") for women to use to shape their hair
in a certain style.  Although it sells only for a couple of dollars, it has
made her a multi-millionaire, but she has had to defend her patent over and
over again. She has several other patents now and gives advice, either free
or at a very nominal cost, on how to get a patent and how to protect it.

Good luck!

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Darren Fisher wrote:

. > Hello everyone:

. > I appreciate if you can help me on this.

. > I have an invention idea that I'd like to pursue it.
. > And have some kind of idea about patenting and trade mark issues, but
. > haven't actually done this.

. > 1- Do you have any idea that what's the best way to do it?

. > 2- If it's time consuming and expensive to do, is there anyway to get an
. > investor (or the patent attorney) to sponsor this process?

. > Thank you.
. > Darren Fisher, P.E.
. > S. California