Re: heat transmission through firewall

Sorry, I do not have a practical solution to this
problem but only some thoughts to share.

I wonder if earthquake and fire are to be considered
together for design in any code of practice.

I know that in India, earthquake and wind are
considered mutually exclusive. There is no mention of
Fire acccompanying wind or earthquake.

It may be well-nigh impossible to design for two of
these acting at the same time (earthquake, fire and
and wind)

To philosophize, if such a tragedy occurs, let us
treat it as an act of God and humbly accept the
catastrophe as his Divine Will.

But will the lay public and particularly lawyers,
accept our argument? I fear we will be roasted
publicly for taking such stand.

Where is all this going to end?

There is talk of designing for "terrorist" loads.
God help the Structural Engineering community.

I am glad I am now old and no longer do structural
design. Frankly I would be at my wits end if faced
with these modern demands post Sept 11.

I wish the present generation of Structural engineers
all success in coping with these modern demands.

Regards
G Vishwanath