RE: Corrosion Protection

Each method has advantages and disadvantages.  A lot depends on the source
of potential corrosion.  Hot dip galvanizing offers a lot of advantages
including a hard surface, and cathodic protection for holidays.  My
preference is the duplex system which is little more than a galvanized
surface that is painted with an epoxy, and topped with a polyurethane.  The
polyurethane keeps the epoxy from oxidizing.
http://www.galvanizeit.org/publications/pdf_files/PT-DS-98.pdf

There are some coating compounds that have very good abrasion resistance.

You may want to look at the US Army Corps of Engineers Paint Technology
Center, Commercial Products Catalog.
 http://owww.cecer.army.mil/pl/catalog/index.cfm

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague