Re: Wind connections at round 8" columns

Charlie,

I want to make sure I understand what you are talking about here when you
say to rotate it 90 degrees.  Are you suggesting to run the beam over the
column and connect the beam to the column cap plate?  If so, how rigid is
this connection?  Is there some research write up on designing the
connection and determining the restraint capability of this connection?

Rich

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 11:14:48 -0500 "Carter, Charlie" <carter(--nospam--at)aisc.org>
writes:
> >Anyone out there have a practical simple
> >frame, with wind connection top and bottom
> >angle detail, to an 8" diameter HSS? Would
> >like to use a bolted connection to permit
> >the joint to rotate.
>
> Could you consider turning the wind connection 90 degrees so that
> it
> moment-connects the column to the girder running over top. If it is
> round,
> an end-plate style detail (well, cap plate for that configuration)
> might be
> better. Fewer pieces and less geometry to deal with. Actually, I
> like that
> detail for rectangular HSS too.
>
> Charlie

> *