Re: heat transmission through firewall

Mr. Vishwanath,

        I think that fire and earthquake are unlikely to occur at the
same time due to coincidence.  However, I think that it is not at all
unlikely that an earthquake can be the cause of a fire (or power
failure, or any of a number of similar emergencies).  It would,
therefore, seem prudent to consider how to deal with, or prevent such a
chain of events.

        Now I don't know very much about earthquakes; but it seems only
reasonable to me that if a significant earthquake occurred followed
closely by a fire that the building would be vacated and not reoccupied
until after it had been fully inspected and found to be safe.  It
follows, on the basis of logistics, damage to the shear wall resulting
from the fire is probably not an issue; but damage to the fire wall as a
result of the earthquake may well be an issue worthy of consideration.

        Regarding the challenges of young structural engineers of the
future, I'm sure they will have many; and I'm sure that they will meet
them successfully just as we did.  In my forty year career we have gone
from designing equipment foundations by arbitrarily using five times the
mass of the supported equipment to doing lumped mass dynamic analyses,
and further on to doing dynamic finite element  analyses.  I'm sure that
the changes in structural engineering in the next forty years will be
equally dramatic.

        We human beings are on the verge of being able to deal
effectively with the threat of an asteroid strike.  If only we could
learn to deal appropriately with one another.

Best regards,

H. Daryl Richardson