From: Ing. Mauro Bono [mailto:mbing(--nospam--at)tin.it]

Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 4:07 PM

To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Subject: ASTM A 333

From: "Mauro Bono" mbing(--nospam--at)tin.it

To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

I'm an italian structural engineer. I designed a structure with circular

steel columns ø600mm 10mm thick. Material specification are, accordin

italian building code "Fe 430 C" type steel that hase the following

properties:

tensile strenght >430N/mm²

yield strenght >275N/mm²

elongation >28%

impact test @ 0°C >27J

According to European Norm EN 100025 it is equivalent to:

S275J0 as per EN 10027-1

St-44-3U in Germany

E-28-3 in France

43C in U.K.

My contractor require to use, due to availability, a pipe made of ASTM A 333

grade 6 steel. Since I'm not an expert of ASTM specification, I've some

question:

can anyone tell me what mechanical and chemical properties the ASTM A 333

grade 6 steel has?

since I found that it's a special use steel (low temperatures), is it

suitable for structural application?

which kind of steel would you prescribe for steel round columns?

I'll really appreciate any clue!

Thanks.

Mauro