RE: Wind connections at round 8" columns

>Are you suggesting to run the beam over the
>column and connect the beam to the column cap
>plate?  If so, how rigid is this connection?
>Is there some research write up on designing the
>connection and determining the restraint
>capability of this connection?

Yes. Depending upon the plate thickness (and HSS wall stiffness), it may be
rigid or flexible.

It is covered in the AISC HSS Connections Manual as an FR detail.

If you want to use it as a flexible moment connection (what used to be
called wind connection), I think you could treat it similar to the way top
and bottom angles are designed. The outstanding leg of the angle and
projecting plate edge are fairly similar.

It's also like a base plate that gets thickened and used as a fixed base
detail.

There isn't much to go on in terms of exactly addressing the case you're
considering, but it seems similar to a lot of other applications that are
common.

Charlie