Concrete Slabs-on-Grade

It seems today that there are more problems (curling, shrinkage cracks,
etc.) with concrete slabs-on-grade then in years past. Years ago when we
used 3000 psi and few if any additives, there were fewer problems. What has
changed?

Today, we use 4000 psi concrete, more admixtures, faster schedules, less
skilled workers, etc. I seemed to recall that we use 4000 psi in slabs for
more durability but we really don't need much durability in schools,
offices, clinics, etc. I could see using 4000 psi for industy or warehouses
and sidewalks...perhaps 3500 psi for retail. Should we reconsider where we
are using 4000 psi?

Jim K.