From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 7:42 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Shear

When you now place a (significant) concentrated load between the face of
the support and d from the face of the support, the arching mechanism is
no longer sufficient to carry this type of load, so it wil be necessary to
carry this load by a shear mechanism as well.  Thus, the reason why you
must now take Vu at the FACE of the support.