Retrofit

Internet'e Turk Nokta Net'in ISDN hizmeti ile bağlanın, hızınızı ikiye katlayın!
http://abonelik.turk.net/isdn_kamp.asp
I'm carrying out a design of a retrofit project. The related building is a 6 storey reinforced
concrete structure consisting of RC shear walls in one direciton only. After modelling the structure and performing a dynamic ( spectrum ) analysis with Etabs, we conluded that the building is far beyond from the code requirements.
After a lot of meetings with the owner, we decided to use concentric steel braces to carry the lateral forces.
But the steel braces to be designed, will be installed outside the building. That is, they will be adjacent to
facade in four sides. They will have no gravity loads. The crucial point in the project is to ensure the diaphragm action between the exisitng building and the additional steel braces.
If anyone has an experience or a document about such a problem please contact me.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Bülent Deveci, SE
TEM Eng&Con.Co.
Istanbul/Turkey