Re: Concrete Slabs-on-Grade

I find that contractors often insist that they need to use a 30% - 70%
aggregate to sand ratio, with 3/8" maximum aggregate size in order to be
able to use the smallest possible pump.  Then to overcome the engineer's
objections, they want to add cement, thinking that stronger is better.  No
wonder slabs crack.

Also proper curing is treated by some contractors as something that,  "No
one else does -- why do we need to do it here?"

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net