Re: Risky Business

Mr. Vishwanath,

        I have a son who is a lawyer so I know a little about it.

        Lawyers in Alberta are self insured by the Law Society.  As a
result, their fees are a few thousand dollars as compared to about
$200.00 for engineers.  I have never heard of them releasing statistics
such as insurance companies do.

        In Alberta in the 1980s or thereabouts there was a lawyer who
was also both an engineer AND a successful city politician (in fact, he
came  close in an election for mayor).  He was convicted of "borrowing"
money from his trust accounts for unsuccessful real estate investments.
As I understand it the Law Society repaid all of the money except for
his own mother's.  He was sentenced to ten years in jail and (because it
was determined that he DID know better but committed the crime anyway)
he was required to serve every day of the ten years.  At almost exactly
the same time there was another lawyer in the northern part of the
province who also served ALL of a  ten year term for similar activities
but I'm less familiar with his case.

        I think the answers to your other questions are "yes" but I
don't know any specifics.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson