RE: Concrete Slabs-on-Grade-vapor barrier

There are 2 reasons not to place the slab directly over the vapor barrier.

1st - Many of the commonly used materials for vapor barriers degrade with
time due to the concrete alkalinity.
2nd - Concrete cast directly on the vapor barrier will curl differentially
(Nicholson, How to Minimize Cracking ..., Concrete Construction, Sept.
1981).

If you in fact need a vapor barrier, I prefer the following:
	1.	Properly prepare a relatively smooth damp (not wet)
subgrade.
	2.	Place and compact a 3" layer of 3/8" open graded crushed
rock.
	This will have no fines and will serve as a capillary break, and
preclude perched water on the subgrade.  The crushed rock will lock together
to form a good working surface for construction traffic.
	3.	Place a vapor barrier.
	This is a manufactured product like Mirafi, not visqueen.  Flash all
penetrations, lap joints, caulk as required by manufacturer.
	4.	Place and compact 2" or 3" of road base or crusher fines.
The surface should be a smooth horizontal plane.
	This is to break contact with concrete to minimize curling and to
avoid vapor barrier degradation due to concrete alkalinity.  The road base
or crusher fines will compact to form a good working surface that will not
be dislocated by construction traffic placing the rebar or dragging a slick
line over the surface.  Pea gravel or sand will shift during construction
when placed on the vapor barrier.
	5.	Set rebar or WWR on dobies or chairs.  Either use rebar
spaced 12" or 18" so that construction workers can step in the spaces or go
to a 4" spaced WWR so that the workers can walk on the reinforcing.  Use
sheet WWR not rolls.  Do not allow the contractor to "hook" the bar into
place.
	6.	Place concrete slab on grade.
	7.	Tool control joints in plastic concrete, or use early entry
saw with anti-ravel skid plate (Soff-Cut Saw) to cut control joints within 4
hours of concrete set.  If you wait longer the joints will have formed
themselves.  You won't see them right away, but they will open themselves up
in time as the concrete continues to shrink..

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague