RE: Increaing double-angle brace compressive strength

> How do you bolt in case B?
Same way as in A...between the existing angles.

***
You are trying to make a built up shape by sliding a bolt in the gap
between the angles - relying on a clamping friction force? I wouldn't do
this
***

> Are the long legs back to back?

> Can you weld instead of bolt?
Strong preference to bolt.  These are on an antenna structure a
couple hundred feet in the air.

How about slipping a WT between the gap and thrubolt thru the long legs
and the web of the WT. On the inside flange of the WT, you could have
plates already welded to it to increase your I and you could actually
justify the shear flow calculation with the thrubolt spacing to gain a
built up section.

Otherwise, what you are suggesting should work if you can prove the
connection creates the built up section.

-gerard
Santa Clara, CA