RE: Increaing double-angle brace compressive strength

> > How do you bolt in case B?
> Same way as in A...between the existing angles.
>
> ***
> You are trying to make a built up shape by sliding a bolt in the gap
> between the angles - relying on a clamping friction force? I wouldn't
> do this ***

Nah, the intent is not to build a composite section. The added
channel merely acts as a "lean-on" brace (see 5th ed of "Guide for
Stability Design Criteria.." for definition of "lean-on" and a good
example.)

> > Are the long legs back to back?
>
> > Can you weld instead of bolt?
> Strong preference to bolt.  These are on an antenna structure a
> couple hundred feet in the air.
>

> How about slipping a WT between the gap and thrubolt thru the long
> legs and the web of the WT. On the inside flange of the WT, you could
> have plates already welded to it to increase your I and you could
> actually justify the shear flow calculation with the thrubolt spacing
> to gain a built up section.

Hmmm... We'll have to think about the 50 years of paint drips,
existing stitch plates between the angles, and the possible mis-
match between the "sweep" of the WT and the double-angles.
Could work, though, and we still would have some of those
problems with the original concept. Thanks for the idea!