Re: ethics/ lighter side

>So how do you change the mentality of an experienced
>contractor, that we are not just conservative, office geeks, who overdesign
>everything?
You don't change anyone's mentality (I think you mean 'viewpoint,' as
long as we're talking about proper terminology). Some people have had
closed minds for most of their lives; they're no-hopers and the best you
can do is cope. If you're in charge or responsible, you bite the bullet
and tell them how it is. Most people will listen to other viewpoints if
you're respectful. When a guy tells me 'that's how I've always done it
and I really know better, I'll explain why I do it that way and I'll tell
him why I know better. I keep a collection of horror stories for just
that purpose. Don't forget 'Haven't had any problems yet' could mean
anything from 'I personally don't care enough to ask,' to 'No one has
caught me at it' to 'None of my projects have ever experienced anything
like design loads.' to 'I've only been in this town a couple of weeks.'
Listen to what people have to say and make a judgement according to your
assessment of the individual and his skill and your own experience. Same
as you'd do when you hire an electrician or a plumber.

BTW, I didn't mean to imply that all skilled trades are diamonds in the
rough. I daresay there's about the same distribution of liars and crooks
and stupidity as you'll find in the average faculty club or board room.
Just because some people are articulate or a good speller doesn't mean
their judgement's any better or worse than it needs to be.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw