RE: Slab-on-grade control joint question

Cliff,

As Gerard pointed out, reinforcement does not really do much to prevent
cracking due to shrinkage.  Since most shrinkage in concrete occurs very
rapidly after the placement of the concrete, the concrete is not "solid"
enough to allow the reinforcment to "bond" with the concrete allowing the
reinforcement to provide "resistance" to the shrinkage.  Keep in mind as
well that the concrete in the slab will cure at different rates through
the slab thickness as the moisture can escape at different rates
throughout the slab thickness.  Since the top of the slab is exposed to
the air, it will be the layer that cures the fastest (thus the reason that
wet curing with a mist system is usually the best method...prevents the
top surface from drying faster than the "core" of the slab).  Thus, the
shrinkage cracks will form at the top of the slab where there is no
reinforcement (reinforcement is typically supposed to be either at
mid-depth or 1/3 depth from the top, but not right at the top).  The
result is that the shrinkage cracks will typically form very shortly after
the placement of the concrete and most reinforcement will not
slow/prevent/stop these cracks.  Some argue that polypropelene (sp?)
fibers will slow/prevent shrinkage cracks but that is highly debatable.

As Gerard pointed out, WWF (or WWR as it is now called), rebars, and steel
fibers are mainly for temperature reinforcement.  These types of
reinforcement will also help with the much longer term effects of
shrinkage, but don't do much at all for the initial shrinkage of the
concrete right after placement.

As pointed out in recent posts, the best way to minimize shrinkage cracks
is proper curing, appropriate control joint (or weakened plane joints as
Gerard calls them) and construction joint locations, appropriate mix
design considerations (i.e. aggregate size), and good placement/finishing
techniques.

The point is that using something like a Soff-Cut will weaken the top
surface to "pick" where the shrinkage crack will occur.  The fact that is
does not cut through the reinforcment does not matter too much as that the
reinforcement is at a level in the concrete that more than likely is still
somewhat "fluid" so the reinforcement will not restrain the movement too
much.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI