Re: Difference between rigid and flexible culvert

Thanks everyone for helping me with this.

Ellen
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 5:11 PM
Subject: RE: Difference between rigid and flexible culvert

Eleanor,

Examples of flexible culvert are PVC, Polyethylene, basically any "plastic" type pipe.  The strengths of these pipes rely heavily on the backfill type and the proper placement of backfill, since as they flex they gain support from the soil around it.  Conversely, rigid pipe, such as concrete, does not rely on the backfill as much (although still important).

Chic Gilligan, PE